Organizing your Bathroom
A bathroom is one of those places that can instantly reflect your personality and give you a charming haven depending on the mood you wish to create. This you can do through the color choice of towels and other decorative items you may choose for your bathrooms makeover. Even some very basic organizational items can change the entire mood of the room.
- Drawers and Cupboards
- Go through all of your drawers and cupboards and remove all of your items in these places.
- Throw away expired makeup and medicine from the cabinets.
- Clean all of your brushes.
- Move medicines to another part of the house if possible. The humidity in a bathroom is not the ideal environment for storing your medicines.
- Get rid of any items that you no longer require.
- Sort and group all of your like items together and take note of what organizational items you may need to purchase to organize them.
- Drawer Organizers are great for separating makeup and hair items.
- Lazy Susan’s are great for under counter hidden areas that are difficult to reach.
- Use baskets for personal items that you do not want lying loose in the cupboard.
- If you are low on storage space one could buy an organizer Cart for extra drawer space and store under or next to a bathroom sink.
- Canvas Storage bins are great for extra towels that you may wish to store on open shelving.
- Counter Space
- Clear everything from your counter and decide what items are too old or no longer required.
- Keep all make up brushes grouped together in an attractive upright container.
- Invest in some clear containers for storage of all disposable items such as cotton swabs and ear buds. The clear containers make replacement of disposable items easy.
- For older children I like to always encourage the use of a counter caddy, for basic daily hygiene. In this caddy, I include a brush; a tooth-brush and toothpaste inside a cup; mouthwash; and deodorant. This visually reminds the child or teen to apply deodorant, brush teeth and hair all at once, without you having to nag daily.
- Extra Bathroom Storage
- Store extra toilet rolls in a tall wicker basket next to the toilet.
- It is also a good idea to have a hanging organizer for all the bathroom essentials required inside the bath or shower.
- Or if you prefer, you can also buy a hanging shower curtain with storage pockets for those items needed while showering.
- You can also hang a hanging shoe rack at the back of the bathroom door for any further storage space you may need.
- Over the door hooks also allow for extra hanging space.
- Daily Bathroom Maintenance
At first glance this to-do list may seem long. If however, one manages to complete each step, as you go through your bathroom routine, it saves a tremendous amount of time.
e.g. instead of dropping your towel on the floor; then later picking it up; and then having to hang it up, (3 actions) rather just hang it up directly after use (1 action.)
- Place toilet roll on toilet roll holder.
- Trash papers and disposable items immediately.
- Make-up placed away in its organizer, immediately after use.
- Toothpaste cap placed firmly on the toothpaste and tooth-brush rinsed and placed in an upright position.
- Basin is also rinsed out after each use.
- Keep a product such as “Clean Shower” in your shower and spray on the walls and the shower curtain directly after a shower. If your shower is clean to start with, then this product will maintain it, if used daily. The alcohol in the product helps to dissolve and remove all the oily human debris and the water residue.
- Place toilet seat and lid down after each use.
- Fill up your soap bottles for hand washing if necessary.
- Hang up your towel, hand towel, and wash cloth after use.
- Place laundry in the laundry basket before leaving the bathroom.
- Thorough weekly clean
- Empty the bin and disinfect it.
- Replace all the towels and wash cloths.
- Spray and wipe down counters with a product like Formula 409.
- Disinfect basins.
- Wipe mirrors down with a window cleaner.
- Sweep the floor.
- Wash the bathroom mats.
- Sterilize the top of the toilet tank storage, the top and bottom of the toilet seat, the toilet lid, behind the toilet seat, around the outside of the toilet bowel and inside the toilet bowl. (Lysol Disinfectant is a great product for disinfecting the inside of the toilet bowl and for getting rid of toilet rings.)
- If you have not managed to use a product like “Clean Shower “daily, then you may have to wipe down the shower with a product.
- End off by washing the bathroom floors.
Once you have handled the initial organizing of the bathroom, daily maintenance should become a habit by remembering the bathroom rules:
If you used it – hang it up
If it is on – turn it off
If it runs out – replace it
If it is dirty – clean it
If it is wet – dry it
- Posted in: Bathroom ♦ Home
- Tagged: bathroom, cleaning, cleaning products;, cupboards, declutter counter space, disinfect, drawers, maintenance, organization, Storage;